Sunday, June 23, 2013

Where to go after Year 1/2

As the school year nears an end, it seems like a good idea to assess the first half year of using Ipads in my classroom. Our school went 1:1 this year. The students were given access to Ipads in February. They did not go home with the children and current plans are for them to stay at school for next year as well.

What worked

Google Drive and Notability for homework and class work - While not nearly a 100% success and hampered by the Ipads staying in school, this workflow significantly reduced the amount of paper used and more importantly, for the students that submitted their assignments using Notability, increased the ability for interaction between us and served as a great way to have their work easily accessible to them.

Google Forms in the classroom -  I was very pleased with the ability to improve formative assessments and enhance classroom engagement and participation through the use of Google Forms. A description of one of their uses in the classroom can be found here. My original plans were to use Socrative for this type of assessment but never got around to really doing it. I still think Socrative can play a significant role for formative assessments in my classroom.

Enhancing classroom discussion - Access to the Internet at the fingertips of each student can be a blessing. There were several instances in class where students checked on something we were discussing. The information they found was able to improve our classroom discussion. Topics checked included the concept of infinity, the concepts of multiple dimensions, and the feasibility of continuing to produce pennies. In addition, some of my students also took on the role of fact checker. One example - When discussing positive and negative relationships between two variables - the speed of pitcher's fastball and the number of strikeouts that occur - I mentioned that Nolan Ryan had the record for most strikeouts. Blank stares from the audience as my age is showing and nobody knew who he was - until someone checked that indeed I was correct and how incredible his strikeout stats were.

What did not work

Note taking - I had planned to have students use Evernote and Skitch for their note taking and spent a couple of days at the beginning of the Ipad roll-out explaining how to use these new tools. While i believe about 20-25% of my students did make good use of the capabilities of these apps, it never felt to me that enough students really "got it" and many of them wanted to use other methods and apps. That is fine, except when each app has different limitations, it becomes difficult to manage what they are doing and how they can gain access across platforms.

Too much of a distraction  - I was most disappointed with the amount of distraction that the Ipad served for too many students. Despite much preparation and anticipation of this, it still ended up being more of a problem than I had anticipated and was prepared for. I had no interest in being an Ipad policeman but at the very least, I was an Ipad truant officer too many times. On some days, I admit to thinking that the whole 1:1 thing was not such a good idea.

Ipads staying in school - Keeping the Ipads in school limits the ability of many students to use the interactive capabilities of some of the apps used in class at home. In particular the ability to edit PDF documents and then submit them as assignments is not easy. As of yet, I have not figured out a suitable workaround for those that do not also have access to an Ipad at home.

Where to go/What to work on

(This is only a beginning list)

Use and curate digital resources - I need to use the resources of Net Texts and other digital platforms to supplement our textbook. Much of the content I present in class is via Smart Notebook files created by me that are based on topics from the text. More effort is needed to branch out and access and curate the readily available digital resources to enhance my presentation.

Improve classroom procedures - Clearly much more thought needs to be given on how to reduce the distractions of the Ipads while not limiting them or policing them too stringently. Not sure exactly what I will come up with at this time but I know the practices I used this last half of the year need to be significantly tweaked. It will be an interesting balancing act.

Note taking and in-class work - Again I am not sure at this point exactly what will be changed but I need to reconfigure the way notes are taken, referred to, and distributed in class. Too much inefficiency and wasted time was involved in the process used the last half of the year.

Continue to enhance classroom formative assessment - More uses of Google Forms and Socrative-like tools need to be thought of and woven into my classroom procedures. It was one of the highlights of the Ipad deployment but I know it can be improved upon.

Creating - Much of my summer planning will revolve around ways to attempt to continue to shift my classroom to one where the students create more and consume less. It will be a challenge but to use the abilities of what the Ipad brings to the classroom, a necessary one to think about and begin to undertake.



No comments:

Post a Comment