Sunday, November 4, 2012

Gafe Summit

It has been much too long since I last posted. It is my intention to post more frequently but often times I just feel so tired by the end of the school day and weekends lately have been filled with lesson planning and family things that required my attention.

However, I do want to reflect on my experience this past weekend at the Google Apps for Education Summit that was held at Burlington High School. The majority of the sessions that I attended were quite well done. All presentation materials were made available to us via online links with many links embedded in those presentations. Links upon links. But despite the overwhelming amount of information presented and available in those links, it is an invaluable resource. I was also quite impressed with the experience and expertise of the presenters and how far a distance many of them came to share what they knew. My PLN expanded by several people this weekend.

My favorite part of the weekend was the two morning keynote addresses, the first was given by Jaime Casap on technology, its speed of change, impact, and relevancy on how children learn things now. His story of how his daughter was going to learn to play the ukelele using a You Tube video rather than a more traditional approach was both funny and eye-opening at the same time.

The second address by Dan Russell was on the topic of what constitutes literacy in the digital age and the concept of informacy. It was top notch! Dan is a search expert at Google. I had the pleasure of taking his power search MOOC this summer so I was already aware of his abilities. His address was even better than I had anticipated. It was thought provoking, humorous, enjoyable, informative, and illuminating all at once. My approach to searching/researching for information will be forever changed and more importantly, how I guide and prepare my students on how, where, and what to look for when they search for information will be much improved and more relevant.

My normal routine of weekend lesson planning was significantly disrupted. However it is worth feeling a bit unsteady and tired as the evening winds down and the school week approaches because of the positive experiences, excellent information, and quality work and people I was exposed to.

Now all I have to do is figure out ways to use and apply all that I learned about this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment